2:57:05

"A river cuts through rock, not because of its power, but because of its persistence" -- Jim Watkins

On my 5th try, I finally cracked the 3 hour barrier in the marathon.  After coming so close back in 2014 and having so much trouble since then, I am very happy to have finally hit this milestone.

Ocean's Run Marathon
Location: Westerley, RI
Date: 3/3/2018
Distance: 26.2 Miles
Goal: Sub 3 hours
Actual: 2:57:05 -- 3:35 PR
This past Sunday I ran the Ocean's run marathon down along the water in Westerley, RI.  After having a tough go at the Marshfield marathon on January 1st, I was eager to get back out there to see what I can do.

The 8 weeks before the race I got in some of the best training in the past few years.  I knocked out multiple weeks over 80 miles with high of 90.  I got in 5 runs of 20 miles or more with almost all of them having bouts at marathon pace.  I practiced positive self talk and truly believed I was ready.

Race day started 5am with a little bit less than a 2 hour drive down to RI.  Amy came and ran the 4 miler, Lisa ran the half, and Doug ran the full with me.  At the start of the race it was 33, sunny, with a bit of wind.  The goal was to start out at 7 minute pace for the first two miles, drop to 6:50 until mile 21, and then hammer through the finish.  My goal was to avoid going out too hard and aim for a negative split. 

While we did avoid going out too hard, we still didn't quite stick to the plan.  After clocking a 6:51 for the first mile, we stayed in the mid to upper 6:40s until the half way point.  We truly felt like we were holding back and I spent a good amount of time during this section yelling at Doug to back off.

We hit the half in 1:29:05 and were still feeling good.  As we looked off into the distance we could see the next runner in front of us and were told we were currently in 4/5th.  Unconsciously we picked the pace up as we tried to real the runner in.  We began to oscillate our pace from mid 6:30s to mid 6:40s still trying to hold back.

After moving into 3/4th, I was able to convince Doug to back off the smallest bit for the 18th and 19th miles, but that was it.  As Doug pressed on I did my best to stay with him.


In the exercise and running community there are a number of sayings that come into play after you have reached this level of exertion.  A couple of my favorite are: "Embrace the suck" and "Hurts so good."   Once you accept their is going to be a certain level of discomfort it is a lot easier to push through it. 

At mile 21, it was go time.  This also nicely aligned with catching the runner who was in 2nd place which gave just that little bit more of motivation to stay strong.  As I picked up the pace Doug yelled to me to "Go!" While I was sad to leave him, I was where I was due to his company and discipline to hold a consistent pace.  It was now his turn to chase me and I hoped he could hold on.

I managed drop a 6:34 and pair of 6:30 miles (my fastest 2 of the day) for miles 21-23.  3.2 miles to go and I would be able to finally check this box off.

After holding on mile 24, I had to push with everything I had for the final 2.2 miles.  Finally, the finish came into view and I sprinted through.

-- 2:57:05 -- 2nd overall -- 3:35 PR --

Exhausted, yet happy, I sat down.  About 30 seconds later Doug came through with the biggest grin I have ever seen.  He PR'd 12.5 minutes.  

What was different
  • Better weather: 30's throughout the race
  • Easier course: Super flat
  • Solid training: 
    • Incorporation of marathon paced miles late in my long runs
    • Return to core work.  
  • Incorporation of mental training: a first
  • Having someone to run with and push me (Thanks Doug)
    • This was probably the biggest difference
  • Support by friends and family
By the Numbers 
  • First time negative splitting a marathon
    • First Half: 1:29:05
    • Back Half: 1:28:00
  • Fastest miles: 6:30 (miles 22 and 23)
  • Slowest miles: 6:51 (miles 1 and 26)
  • Average pace (6:43 watch, 6:45 official) 
  • For more details checkout https://www.strava.com/activities/2188934237
Next Up
Next up is Tuckerman's Inferno on April 13th.  Cross training begins this coming weekend.  Wish me luck.

- Scot

Comments