Endurance

Recovering 

I tend to think of myself as a fairly strong athlete with a solid amount of will power.  In order to get anywhere in endurance sports you need to believe in yourself and have the power to push on when the times get tough. 

Last weekend I managed to catch a stomach bug and spent the majority of Saturday curled up in bed or vomiting.  As I struggled to get through the day, all I could think of was how weak I felt and how much easier it is to push through tough times in a race.  Maybe it has to do with knowing you can control the pain.  Fighting through the nausea really humbles a person. 

Over the last three weeks I have fought through a chest cold and a stomach bug.  After putting in a pretty solid race year (with 15 events to date), I guess it was just my body saying it was time to dial it back.  So for the last month I have been taking it easy with some runs and easy swimming while I plan next years activities. 

Ironman 70.3 Mont-Tremblant

With a little bit of pushing from my swim team, I signed up for Ironman 70.3 Mont-Tremblant.  This will be my 4th half iron distance triathlon and first race out side of the United States.  Mont-Tremblant will be my big return to triathlon after a light race year (a winter tri, a sprint, and a relay) where I focused more on running.  I am excited about the race and the trip in general and looking forward ramping the volume back up. 

Next Year

Still floating around the idea of two more long runs next year: Hyannis Marathon in February and Leadville 50 miler in July.  I have run Hyannis Race Series (10k, 1/2 marathon, marathon) in one form or another over the past 3 years, but I am a little disappointed that they dropped the 10K race this year (which Amy usually runs).  This would be my 1st marathon and if I decide to do it. I would want to shoot for a sub 3:06 finish time (Boston qualifying). 

As for Leadville, I would love to do the race, but it will take some serious training to be able to throw down 50 miles, especially since the elevation peaks at 14K ft a couple of times. 

I'll have to start making some of these decisions in the near future, but it never hurts to dream big. 

Comments