The Ramp Up / The Human Heart

The Ramp Up

This morning Neil and I ran 4 miles down by the Charles in Watertown.  Neil is still a little small for the running stroller so we took it very easy.  The cool fall weather is nice and refreshing.  I switched to a long sleve shirt for the first time in quite a while and Neil bundled up in long pants, a sweat shirt, and a blanket. 

Over the past 7 days I have run 37 miles.  Just under 5 weeks to the Big Brad 50K and I am aiming to get up a 55 mile training week beforehand.  I have consistently been running 25-30 miles a week for the past couple of months and excited about the ramp up. 

Below is my goal weekly mileage breakdown to make this happen.  

Week 0 - 37 miles, long run 16 (aka this week)
Week 1 - 42 Miles, long run 19
Week 2 - 47 Miles, long run 21, Grace Race 5 Miler (9/29)
Week 3 - 35 Miles (Recovery), long run 12
Week 4 - 55 Miles, long run 23, Groton 9.5 Mile Trail Race (Msg Me if you are interested in joining our pig roast following the race)
Week 5 - Taper / Race week ~40 miles)

The Human Heart
Last week my aunt suffered a stroke.  Luckily she is a nurse and happened to be working at a hospital when it happened and was able to get excellent care immediately and should make a full recovery.

Yesterday morning while my friend Keith and I were out on our 16 mile run (Belmont to the Museum of Science and back) we ended up smack dab in the middle of the Heart Walk.  I took this as a sign and went online after getting home to make a donation. 

Though sad to see people walking who have lost loved ones, it was quite up lifting to see the amount of people out there raising money and getting active.  Along the 6 mile route there were many signs with a number of facts about the human heart and ways of reducing your risk of stroke (there were also a bunch of high school cheerleaders cheering on anyway who came by, but that is beside the point).  Below are a couple of the ones I remember.

1) A simple 30 minute walk a day can reduce your risk of stroke by 50%
2) For every hour of vigorous exercise you prolong your life by 2 hours (using this formula, I have prolonged my life by 16 days through exercise this year alone)
3) Greater then 80% of heart disease and stroke is preventable. 

Click here to find out more. 

Stay active, it will help you in so many ways.

- Scot

Comments