Saturday, November 30, 2013

Happy Thanksgivukkah, Races, and Other Stuff

I have been quite busy since my last post.  First, I went to the Caribbean for Auntie Meryl's wedding, then I ran the Dan Scharfman Memorial - miler with Dad, next I coached Dad through a massive 4 Mile PR at the Gobble Gobble Gobble, and since then I have been celebrating Thanksgiving and Hanukkah. 

My Caribbean Trip
Our day began early with a taxi pick up at 4am. I barely new what was evening going on as Mom and Dad just took me directly to the airport in my PJ's.  Two flights, two cab rides and a ferry later and we arrived at the Cinnamon Bay camp ground in St. John.  It was a long day of traveling, but it was pretty cool to be staying roughly 30 yards from the ocean.  I was a little confused though, it was really warm outside and water was a little bit on the cooler side.  In Iceland it was cold outside, but and water was as warm as the bath.  Go figure.

After a couple of relaxing days and a little bit of hiking, we took a ferry over to Virgin Gorda on the British side, where I got my passport stamped for the second time.  After spending a few days at the beach, my big day was up.  All eyes were on me as I was the main event carrying the rings down the aisle at the beginning of the service.  I was a little nervous, but Dad dressed up the same as me which made me feel much better.  The reception was back at our house that we were renting for the week, which worked out pretty well as it gave me ample room to run around like a crazy person and head to bed once I got tired. Can you imagine, me, a 1 1/2 year old, sitting at a table in a restaurant for a few hours, I can't.

I also got to hang out with another little boy, Liam, who is just over a month older then me.  When we were at the beach one day, Dad dug us a pair of holes down to the ocean so we could play without the waves bombarding us.  The final day we were there we went on a glass bottom boat tour.  It was dubbed, "Snorkeling without getting wet."  It was pretty cool, especially since I am too little to snorkel.  We also bumped into Richard Branson later that night.  Did you know he owns a whole island down there?

The Dan Scarfman Memorial 1-Miler
A couple of weeks ago were the memorial races for our neighbor Dan that passed away last January.  Dad ran the 5k and I pushed him in the stroller for the 1-miler.  He did pretty good in the 5K finishing in 18:16, 7th overall and 2nd in his AG.  For the 1-miler we took off in third place just behind two ten year old boys.  One of them dropped off around the 2/3rds point, but the other stuck with us to the end.  He inched us out at the finish with a  full powered lunge.  We finished 2nd overall in 6:04 and are still undefeated in the stroller division.

The Gobble Gobble Gobble
I let Dad run this one on his own and opted to stay inside with Grandma and Grandpa.  A windy 30 degrees is not for me.  He has been putting in some decent speed work so I told him to aim for sub 6 minute pace.  Below is the recap he gave me.

"I pushed through the first two miles in 11:57 knowing I was in for some pain on the 3rd mile.  With a little uphill and some wind I was able to finish right in 6 minutes with some hard pushing.  The final mile was a nice long descent I flew through hitting the tape in 23:35, roughly 90 seconds faster then the last time I ran the race."

Over the past 3 days we have been holidaying it up over here.  We started with our traditional beer menorah on Wednesday night, deep fried a turkey on Thanksgiving, and frying up some more food today.  Not sure how healthy this all is, but it is definitely fun to celebrate the holidays.

Next Up
Next weekend I am taking on my second race, a 100m dash in South Boston.  I did my first workout today: 100m run + 3 X 1 lap of the long jump pit.  The other 1 year olds have nothing on me.

- The Little Maniac (Neil)

No comments: