2014

"I'm Winning" -- Charlie Sheen 

While I am not going to pretend I have tiger blood, I have had a pretty good year.  As 2014 comes to a close, there are no words to describe how well the year went.  I had  breakout year running, I got promoted at work, Amy had another great year of cycling and moved into a product manager role, and we got to see Neil mature into a little athlete of his own.

Running
I am not even sure where to begin with my running this year.  I started off with two goals: complete the Leadville Silver Rush 50 in July and run 365 days in a row.  I ended up knocking out both of those as well as my 2nd (Qualify for the Boston Marathon) and 3rd (sub 5 minute mile) bucket list items (Leadville was #1), setting 12 new personal records with at least one in each distance (I track 11 distances).   I am still in disbelief that it all happened.

When people ask me how my training and racing is going, I don't even know what to say anymore. Normally I am like "Good, really good." What I want to say is "ridiculous."  When asked how I got where I am, I simple say, "Sign up for a race that scares the shit out of you, train your hardest, and it will all just come together."

Training for the first half of this year was solely focused on Leadville.  In February, I was already back up to a 70 mile week.  In April I started off with a 75 mile week and ended with an 80.  After a bunch of 60 and 70 mile weeks in May, I capped my training with a 90 mile week in June.

At this point, I was at 180 straight days of running, and had the feeling an adaptation had taken place. I recovered much faster then before, I could push harder and for longer then before, and I had a new found will to succeed.

After a very tough, but successful race at Leadville, a much needed vacation, and four easy weeks of low mileage, I began my next ramp up and goals of hitting my final two PR's, the 5K, and the marathon.

With some new confidence, a couple of extra red blood cells from my time altitude, and some solid training I was able to eliminate them both of them with plenty of wiggle room.

I don't think I have ever finished a race with as big a smile on my face as at the Manchester City Marathon.   It was a rough chilly and windy day, but I got the time that I wanted (and needed) and finally got the Boston Qualifier that had alluded me before.

I finished out the year with what I called the gravy races; first a 4 mile PR in Somerville on Thanksgiving (pun intended), Mill Cities relay in early December (where my team took 3rd coed open), and finally at the Latke run where I got my first ever race win.

The final stamp came on new years eve, when I completed my 365th straight day of running where I accumulated a total of 2548 miles, a mere 474 miles more then 2013

Last year I made it to Mount Rushmore in SD.
This year I made into Nevada at Goshute Peak.  Still about 500 miles until I reach the pacific.  

Charity
We continued our dollar per mile run donation plan throughout 2014.  This marked our second full year of the program and 26th straight month.  This year we changed it up a bit and made smaller donations in some cases and help spread the wealth.

January: Spaulding Rehabilitation Center, Beth Israel, the Liver Foundation, Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, and New England Multiple Sclerosis Society - $184
February: Citizen's Energy (Joe Kennedy Foundation) - $214
March: PBS - $146
April: Wounded Warrior, American Diabetes Association, YMCA, New England MS Society - $260
May: Appalachian Mountain Club - $244
June: One Mission Kid's Cancer Buzz-Off, WGBH, Run for Kids (NYRR), Alzheimer's Association- $248
July: Vermont Food Bank - $149 
August: Vermont Food Bank, Progeria Research Foundation - $176 
September: Doctors without Borders - $242 
October: Children's Hospital, East Somerville Mystic Projects, Greater Boston Food Bank, Movember Foundation, Direct Relief - $247
November: Hadassah - $177
December: Wounded Warrior - $211

Neil
Neil and I started the year off with a stroller race, watching the winter olympics, and bike riding on snow.

Neil completed his 3rd race at the Groton Tot's Trot in April and has been riding his bike everywhere ever since.  He visited his 9th and 10th states with Colorado and Vermont.

My proudest moment of the year came the day before I ran the Leadville Silver Rush 50.  We were watching mountain bike version and I half heartedly said "Neil are you going to do this race?" and he replied with "Yeah, 5." Whether it is when he turns 5, 5 years from now, or 5 decades from now, all I could say was "Thats my son."

In September, Neil began a soccer program and when that ended he started taking swimming classes and is loving every minute of it.


Teammates, Family, and Friends

"Nothing's better then the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you." -- Aaron Douglas Trimble 

This year I raced 22 times.  The most I have ever raced in a year.  Whether it was Amy talking sense into me before a big race, Neil handing me a stack of cups when I was ready to quit Leadville, or the fact that my whole running club is improving so fast I am forced to train harder just to keep up,  I couldn't have done it and wouldn't have been able to do it without such a great support system.

So to all of you out there.  Thank you.  Your help and support is greatly appreciated.  Looking forward to the next 365 straight days of running and whatever it brings.

Bring on 2015.    

Amy, Laura, and I at the Spring Sprint Duathlon
The club after the 26 X 1 Relay
Keith and I at mile 25 of the Leadville 50

My co-workers after the Cigna Elliot 5K.
Jen and I after the Latke 5K

- Scot

-- Stay tuned for bucket list 2.0 coming soon.

Comments