Making Every Day Count

This past Saturday, I had a full day.  I took on my 15th Ultramarathon at the TARC To Hale and Back 6 Hour and then took the family to the "Leyden Cup" Boston Children's Hospital fundraiser that evening.  I was a little worried that I was over committing, but it turned out I couldn't have asked for a better day.

TARC To Hale and Back 6 Hour

Location: Westwood, MA
Date: 3/24/2018
Distance: As Many 5K Loops as you can fit in 6 Hours
Goal: 31 Miles
Actual: 30.6 Miles, 5:25, 3rd OA (Loops were really 3.4 miles)

Pic Compliments of Chris Wristen
I wasn't quite sure what to expect at the TARC To Hale and Back 6 Hour.  First, I have never run a time based event like this before, second, running a bunch of loops really isn't my thing, and third, 95% of the trail was covered in snow. 

I started the race at the front of the pack and even tried to push the pace some over the first couple of laps. The first lap was pretty slick with the snow and the ice, the second and third laps were the best as the snow was packed hard, and then it deteriorated from there.  By the 5th lap it was slush and then gobs of mud there after. 

My favorite part of the whole course was descending a single track section under the power lines.  Every time through I just bombed down willing myself to stay on my feet. 

As I came to the end of the 8th lap, I heard someone approaching from behind.  At this point I had been running in 3rd overall for 4+ hours and really didn't want to relinquish my position.  Once the runner finally did catch me, I realized it was none other then Joe McConaughy, aka thestring.bean and current Appalachian Trail FKT holder.  I laughed a little as he went by.  Hey, if I was going to get
Pic Compliments of Chris Wristen
lapped at least it was by someone who really knows what they are doing.

I completed my last lap, 9, just over 5 hours and 25 minutes into the race.  It was unlikely I could fit another in so I grabbed some food and plopped down by the fire. 

I honestly have never had a bad time at a TARC event.  This was the fifth one I have done and between the feeling of community, the course support, the superior stocked aid station, and an unbeatable price, I will continue to to come back.  Sincerest thank you to the whole organization for putting these races on.

Also, and an extra shout out to Chris Wristen at Mass Ultra for being out their, taking pictures, and supporting the event. 

The Leyden Cup

A few hours, a shower, and a cup of coffee later, and we arrive at Game On for the Leyden Cup.  Neil keeps telling us that we need to bring him to a fundraiser so we finally made good on our word.  

My friend Melissa is running the Boston Marathon in memory of her daughter, Leyden.  While Leyden's life was tragically short, Melissa keeps her memory alive and ensures she has a lasting impact by running and fundraising for Boston Children's Hospital.  To read more about Leyden, Melissa, and to make a contribution go here: http://fundraise.childrenshospital.org/site/TR?px=1302690&fr_id=1671&pg=personal

Fundraisers for Boston Children's Hospital are something that we can always get behind.  Between our experiences there and countless stories we have heard from others, it is an incredible place of support and hope for many families facing the toughest of times.  

The Leyden Cup is a combination of a raffle and a corn hole tournament.  Since we had the kids with us, we just scouted the tournament as we plan on holding one ourselves as a fundraiser later this year.

In between each round, Melissa gave a short speech recognizing many people that had supported her and made this event possible.  During one of the breaks, she helped us tell our story and even introduced Neil and Nat to the crowd.  

At this point Neil was hooked and announced that he was officially joining "Team Leyden" and even made Melissa promise to get him a kids size "Team Leyden" singlet.  
  
All and all we had a blast at the event and they raised nearly $3000.  Neil is hooked and can't wait to figure out how we do more.  

Special shout out to Melissa for including us as members of "Team Leyden"

Neil Front and Center Showing his Support for Team Leyden
- Scot

Comments