The 122nd Boston Marathon

As an ultra runner living in the Boston area, I have developed a love hate relationship with the Boston Marathon. Frankly, I have little interest in the marathon distance and even less interest running that far on roads.  I would much rather be on the trails or in the mountains any day.

But, the Boston Marathon literally is the race.  The race everyone loves and everyone wants to run.  As a local runner, it is expected that you run the race and you are asked countless times every year if you are running.

My past experiences have been a little less then ideal; suffering from the heat both years.  I did get to truly experience the power of the race last year by running on a charity bib.  It was very uplifting and for that I am truly grateful.  You can read about them here: 2016, 2017

This year I did not run the Boston Marathon.  Instead I decided to cram in over 50 miles in the days surrounding the race.  Luckily, there is always a lot going marathon weekend. It all began with the "The Boston Run" which included my first (and failed) attempt at GPS art.

Should have turned the GPS off before running back to the car.

Henry's Boston Quad
Last year (March 2017) my ultra running friend Henry Ward tried to tackle the Boston Marathon course four times, dubbed the Boston Quad.  He was treated with some of the gnarliest weather we have ever had with sleet, ice and rain. Ultimately he succumbed after three marathons.  Most of us disappeared with hypothermia far before that.  It prompted me to write this post, which came quite in handy this weekend. 

This year he completed the Boston Quad and used the official marathon for his fourth and final leg.   We started at noon Sunday in Boston and I tagged along for the first 10 miles (until we reached Route 95) before running the 7 miles home from there. Henry finished his first marathon in about 5:30.

Henry and I at Mile 7, the John Kelley Statue

I caught back up with Henry later that evening and ran back into finish with him and then turned and ran back out (another 14 miles).  I completed this second run after 1am.

Henry got back up to Hopkinton early morning and then went on to finish the race in 4:48, completing his quad. Huge shout out to Henry as this is one huge accomplishment.

Checkout an official write up at: https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-marathon/2018/04/16/henry-ward-boston-marathon-quad?s_campaign=bcom%3Asocialflow%3Afacebook

An American Woman Wins
This year's Boston marathon was shaping up to be the race to watch.  An American woman had not won in the last 33 years and this year we had three major contenders. 

I watched the race from the comforts of my living room until about 11:30am when I decided it was finally time to head over to the course.  At that point, not much was happening in the race.  Little did I know shortly there after Desiree Linden was about to make a definitive move and drop the entire field.   She would go on win buy over 4 minutes and prove that grit truly is a world class talent. 

As an ultra runner, I thrive on races like this.  It brings us back to the days of Prefontaine - "A lot people run races to see who is the fastest.  I run races to see who has the most guts" - where people pushed so hard they collapsed within site of the finish line. 

My Future in the Marathon
To tell the truth, it is unknown.  My marathon PR was set back in 2014 and is still just a smidge over 3 hours and doesn't line up with most of my other PRs.  So eventually I'll get back there, but when I do it is going to be a full on effort.  You won't catch me trying to slide in just under the Boston qualifying time.  

But until then, "The mountains are calling and I must go." (John Muir)

- Scot

Comments