Never Underestimate the Power of the High Five

It has been a busy month.  We started with our kids running program "Ninja Feet", I chased it with Run your Age, Year 38 Edition, and then we raced at Falmouth.

Ninja Feet Running Program
Earlier this month we put on a youth running program with the proceeds benefiting NF Northeast.  From idea to execution was less then three weeks, so the whole thing was a bit of a blur.  If I remember how it went down, it was something like this.

Jill (NF Northeast): "Scot, you know Becca Pizzi! Can you get her to run Falmouth with us?"
Scot: "Maybe, let me ask."
Becca: "YES!"

Jill and Becca have coffee.

Becca: "Scot, we are putting on a youth running camp."
Scot: "Ok, we need a permit, t-shirts, and a registration site."
Becca: "Permit done."
Diana: "T-shirts done."
Scot: "Ok, I guess we are doing this thing.  I'll set up the registration. We need a name."
Jill: "We'll call it Ninja Feet."

Three weeks and 27 registered kids later we are down at the track.  The program was awesome. We ran, did plyometrics, yoga, strength training, and relays. We shared our stories of running all over the world and we did a bit of trivia; from how many Boston Marathon's has Becca raced to how many consecutive days have I run.

One thing I have come to learn in all my youth coaching is the power of the high five.  In soccer, when a kid sub's out and you give them a high five, you instantly see a smile appear on their face.  In the running program, every time each kid crossed the finish line, I gave them a high five.  It literally made them want to run another lap just to get another one.  

Special thanks to Paula Elbert / Fitness Together Belmont, Donna Ognibene / BodyTrio, Melissa Dlugolecki / Move with MM for helping us out and Launch Trampoline Park Watertown and Moozy's Ice cream Emporium for giving the kids gift cards. 


Also special thanks to Amy, Diana, Jill, Jennifer, and Jenny for helping out through the camp. We raised over $2500 and are looking forward to building off our success next year. 

Run Your Age - Year 38 Edition
For the 4th consecutive year I ran my age on my birthday.  After having run up the North Shore (to Gloucester) last year, I decided to go south this year.  One of the things I have really come to enjoy  about long distancing running over the past couple of years is getting out, exploring, and seeing some new places.  This run didn't disappoint. 

Thompson Island
I started just after 4:30AM.  The forecast was cooler weather, but rain later in morning.  I decided to get as much in before the rain as possible.  I started by working my way down to the Charles, and following the path to Mass Ave.  After running through South Boston and a little bit of weaving, I picked up Morrisey Blvd and then headed out to Squantum.

One of my goals for this run was to stay out along the water and go out to some of the points.  Luckily, I was at low tide when I got to Squantum, so I ran out to Thompson Island.  It was pretty cool looking back into the city as people were just waking up and getting started on their day.  I had a great view of Castle Island and all of the city's largest buildings and their wasn't a single sole within a couple of miles of me. 

World's End - 38 Miles Down
After a short break, I continued south, ran along the Quincy Shore and then worked my way out to Hough's Neck and eventually Nut Island. 

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) it was raining now.  While it was much cooler, a few hours in wet sneakers really isn't that much fun. 

My run through Weymouth and into Hingham was largely uneventful.  I ran along Rt 3A which is a little too urban for my liking.  I finished up at the World's End Reservation.

All and all I had a pretty good run and felt really strong for the entire run.  I am already looking forward to what the year 39 edition brings. 

The 46th Falmouth Road Race
Location: Falmouth, MA
Date: 8/19/2018
Distance: 7 Miles
Goal: 41:59 (sub 6 / mile)
Secondary Goal: 43:41 (PR over last year)
Actual: 43:06 (6:09 / mile)

Last year Amy and I ran the iconic Falmouth Road as part of the Numbers for Non Profits program with NF Northeast.  While we had a good time, we felt rushed.  Logistics for this race aren't that simple with an early bus ride to the start and a good walk from the finish back to the car. 

This year we got a hotel (last year we stayed at a friend's place 45 minutes away) that was centrally located with an easy walk to the bus so that we didn't have to drive anywhere on race day.  This also allowed us time for the kids race (the day before), which was also Nat's first race; Neil ran the 200 while Nat ran the 100.   

The kids had a blast at their respective races and enjoyed some ice cream post race.  I even had Neil where my GPS watch so we had a real measurement of his performance (See https://www.strava.com/activities/1781397033). 

Sunday began early with a 6am wake up.  We were nicely greeted with some cooler, but still humid weather.  Amy and I walked over to the bus where we met up with the other NF Northeast runners, including my sister and Urvi, two of our team recruits for the year.  After a team picture we jumped on the bus to the start.  We arrived just after 7:30 and had a good hour to kill before the festivities began. 

At 8:40, I moved up towards to the front to watch the wheel chairs, then the elite women take off.  Desi Linden, 2018 winner of the Boston marathon started the elite women, and then merged in right next to me for the general start.  She was just going to take it easy. 

As the race started, I took off hard and then tried to settle into a sustainable pace.  I clocked a 5:51 first mile and chased it with a 5:58 second.  I was still feeling good, but was a little bit unsure if I could keep the pace up.  I had one more mile of rolling hills before it flattened out. 

I was able to hold onto a 6 flat for the 3rd mile before being greeted with nasty headwind for the 4th.  As I went through the half way point and began to slow down some, I knew if I held strong I still would be able to PR the course. 

Around mile 5, I went through the NF Northeast cheering section and gave out a few high fives.  This gave me just the adrenaline boost I needed to tackle the final few miles. As I pushed on, the size of the crowd multiplied immensely.  I could barely go 10 feet without hearing "Go Scot!"

As I made my way to the final climb, I pushed with everything I had. I hit the line in 43:06, 36 seconds faster then last year. 

We relaxed at the hotel and by the pool for the remainder of the day before driving back early Monday morning. 

Special thanks to Laura for watching the kids while we raced, my sister Carrie-Anne and Urvi for joining us and raising funds to support NF Northeast, Becca for racing with us and helping us raise awareness about NF, and Diana for organizing the team again (your efforts are appreciated). 

Next Up
I have a busy fall lined up and still working out the final details. In two weeks I'll be back at Coast to Cure NF, this time running the 40 mile route.  The following weekend I'll be up in NH doing Reach the Beach with the Fighting Guppies and in October I'll be pacing (and maybe running) the Baystate Marathon. 

- Scot






Comments