A Wild New England Bucket List Weekend

"Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself." – George Bernard Shaw

This past weekend I did something my wife frowned upon; I clumped together 2 of my major bucket list events into a 3 day span (these were my 2nd and 3rd bucket list items on the year, see previous post for the 1st).  Before I continue with the full write up, I need to give an extra special thank you to her for working with me and supporting me through this endeavor.


The first of the two events was Tuckerman's Inferno, a pentathlon in the White Mountains in New Hampshire consisting of a 8 mile run, 5 mile kayak, 16 mile bike (with 2100' of climbing), a hike up Tuckerman's ravine (3.1 miles with 2500' climbing), and a ski down to the finish.  This all took place on Saturday.

The second event was the Boston Marathon, but this year instead of just running it, I ran it twice.  I started in Boston at 4:30am, making my way out to Hopkinton, and then running back as part of the 123rd edition of the race.

Below is my story of a wild 55 hours.  This weekend truly was a celebration of everything I have learned in triathlon and ultra running over the past 12 years. 

Tuckerman's Inferno
Location: White Mountains, NH
Date: 4/13/2019
Distance: 34+ (5200'+ climbing)
Goal: Survival (really they made me wear an avalanche beacon)
Actual: 5:06:52 (10th OA)

After not getting to UTMB CCC earlier this year, I pulled the trigger.  Little did I know that less than a month later I would be given the opportunity to register for the Boston Marathon as well.
 
Tuckerman's Inferno weekend started around noon Friday when we picked my crew chief (Neil) up early from school to head north.  The goal was to get to Bartlet by 3pm to do a test run of the kayak down the Saco.  My kayak experience up to this point was well, lets say minimal.  In other words, I had a kayak and I had a cheap skirt to keep the water out.  

Our guide was a man named Nate and with his guidance I was feeling pretty comfortable after the first 20 minutes or so.  What he told us was simple, "If you hit an obstacle, lean into it not away.  Point your kayak where you want to go, not at an obstacle."  I also got to meet a few other racers and even drop that I had a marathon (I didn't have the heart to tell them it was a double) on Monday during some of the easier sections.   I got a little wet towards the end, but all and all felt ready to go by the end of the day. GPS track.
After pit stop at the Tuckerman's brewery for bib pickup, we made our way to our friends Sue / Jeff's house where we spent the night (who also hooked me up with an avalanche beacon for the next day.  Extra / special thank you btw).  

The Run
Pre-Race
The race began at 7am in the parking lot for Story Land, an iconic New England landmark that I visited for the first time over 34 years ago.  From there we ran down Rt 16, turned and climbed through Glen Ledge (with nearly 500' climbing in the 2nd mile) before dropping out onto 302 and cruising all the way over to Bear Peak / Thorne pond.  The run leg was the leg I was trained the best for having already knocked out over 900 miles and 2 marathons on the year.  I got to the pond in just under 58 minutes (6:58 pace) and made my way through the snowfield out to the river.  Run Leg Track.

One of the reasons I have always wanted to do this race was I knew it would be a trip down memory lane.  As kid, my parents had a house about 20 minutes north in Bridgton, ME.  I had canoed this river as a child and then again as an adult.  I first hiked Tuckerman's trail when I was 5 years old and was whining so much about wet feet that my parents put plastic bags between my feet and my boots.  I hiked it again a few years later and picked enough wild blueberries to make a pie.  I returned for a third time with my wife on my 30th birthday to finally reach the summit of Washington.  

The Kayak
As I jumped in my kayak (after putting on my rain jacket, neoprene gloves, and gortex
Pic from of Matt Sterns / FOTR
mittens), I had one simple goal in mind, "Don't flip." I made it through the first few turns with ease, but quickly noticed how sluggish my paddling was.  So far this year I had kayaked 8 miles with 5 of them being the previous day.  Who would have thought I was under-trained?

I quickly learned that my 10 year old kayak was a bit below the equipment standard.  It was totally functional, but I sadly watched as competitors blew by me the entire time.  I arrived back in Glen, about 52 minutes later, a little bit wet again and was excited to get to the bike leg, but little did I know what was in store for me.  Kayak Leg Track.

The Bike
Pic from Ryan Smith / FOTR
After a change of socks, shoes, gloves, and jacket (yes this race really did take a ton of gear and clothing), I took off on the bike.  I was excited for this leg and this was the first time back racing on my time trial bike since spring 2014.  After a couple uneventful miles, we climbed back through Glen Ledge (reversing the route of the run) and I was forced to drop to my lowest gear.  After a nasty decent (steep with sharp turns), we were back on rt 16 and heading into Jackson, another area that I have come to love.  We have been up to CC Ski there multiple times over the past 7 years.  

From there it was a long slow grind to get up to Pinkham Notch.  While it wasn't all up hill, 1500' over 8 ish miles was still pretty hard.  As the visitor center came into view, I was so happy to be done with the bike.  Bike Leg Track 

The Hike
Gary DeDeo, Tuckerman's, 1972
Hiking up and skiing down Tuckerman's has been on my list for as long as I can remember.  My father did it back in 1972. Now 47 years later and after just over 3 hours of racing it was my turn.  I swapped out to a dry pair of running sneakers, put on some micro spikes and through on my pack with my skies on it and took off. 

While my legs were a bit sore, it was 65degrees, sunny and the overall mood of everyone on the trail was incredible.  In addition to the racers (both soloist like myself and relay teams), there were a large amount of people out there just to hike up and ski down for fun.  When they saw my race bib, they quickly moved out of the way and many a times gave me positive feedback.  "You're awesome! You're incredible! I can't believe you are doing this whole thing yourself."

The first 2.6 miles is entirely below the tree line and the trail was a nice hard snow pack.  There were a few racers skinning their way up and moving a bit faster than myself (Maybe in another life, I'll have the time to get into ski mountaineering).  


All set to hike
As your reach the Hermit Lake Shelter, everything starts to get a bit more real.  All of a sudden the number of people went up by an order of magnitude.  The bowl was now just 300' above us.  After getting stuck in traffic briefly, a hiker saw my bib and yelled at the 15 people in front of me to get out of my way.  As the sea parted, I scooted by.  

About a 1/3 of mile later we reached the bowl.  It was both a beautiful site and location of a crazy party.  With a few hundred people simply hanging out, some drinking and offering us beer, I wasn't quite sure what to think.  Soon after that I was greeted by ski patrol to verify my avalanche beacon was transmitting before I was allowed to go to the ski start.  

After another 300' / .2 miles (with grades of 49%), I had completed the hike.  Hike Leg Track

The Bowl - Pic from Kam Mitchell / FOTR
The Ski
The ski was a combo of a giant slalom course with a narrow black diamond trail through the woods.  Having been a skier since a young kid, I wasn't stressed about this leg.  I was even excited to see how I would perform.  What didn't take into account is just how destroyed my legs would be after climbing over 5000' between the run, bike, and hike.  

After whipping around the first few turns and exiting the bowl, my quads were screaming for mercy.  I did my best stay in form, but there was absolutely no aggressiveness left in me.   I took the remaining miles (the whole ski was about 2.5 miles) easy and enjoyed the fact that I was about to complete this awesome event.  

About 2/3rds of the way down I skied by our friend Sue (who was volunteering as a wilderness EMT) who caught video of me skiing like a decrepit old man.

I skied through the finish, smiled for a picture, and was quickly greeted by Neil running over on his snow shoes.  Ski Leg Track.


--- 2019 Bucket List Item #2 Complete -- 5:06:52 -- 10th OA, 7th Male --


At the finish post ski
Huge shout out to Friends of Tuckerman's Ravine, the ski patrol, the volunteers, and everyone else that allows this event to happen.  Stitching together a kayak in 35 degree water with something that later requires an avalanche beacon, really is simply crazy. And also a huge shout out to Amy, Neil, Sue, and Jeff for helping make this possible for me.  It is greatly appreciated. 

Double Boston Marathon
Location: Boston to Hopkinton to Boston
Date: 4/15/2018
Distance: 52.4 Miles
Goal: To celebrate life and everyone who has been on this journey with us
Actual: 3:48:49 out, 3:45:45 back, 13360 OA

Next up, just over 40 hours later was my second bucket list item of the long weekend (in Massachusetts we celebrate a holiday called Patriots Day), the Double Boston Marathon.  This item has also been on my list for years and I was super excited to make it happen.  
Henry and I at Bova's to start his run

But before the 40 hours were up, we had to get my friend Henry to Boston finish line so he could start his quad (Boston Course 4X).  This was Henry's 2nd year doing this and I was able to convince him to start at Bova's Bakery in the North End instead, adding 1.5 miles (what is 1.5 when you are already running 104.8).   

Before Henry moved to Arizona we would do what we called the Cannoli Run, running to Bova's and back to pick up Cannolis before our families were even out of bed.  It is also always good to know someone doing something crazier than you as it makes you seem just a tiny bit more sane (Henry completed his 2nd Boston Quad before 4pm on Monday). 


The Finish (Our Start / Finish)
After socializing my plan earlier in the week about the Double Boston, my buddy Greg texted me to get some more details.  Greg is both a competitive and accomplished ultra runner and triathlete and has done the Double Boston each of the last two years and was coordinating a group to join him on his third.  12 hours later, the four of us: Greg, Shira, Samantha, and myself were standing on the Boston Marathon finish line at 4:30am Monday morning.  It was time to get going and time to begin our 52.4 mile celebration.  

The first few miles were largely uneventful.  We dodged traffic and said hello to the volunteers still setting up the course.  After almost missing the turn from Beacon to Commonwealth (not used to running the course in reverse) and enjoyed the Newton hills backwards.  To make this clear, the marathon course is a bit more hilly going backwards, but still nothing compared the to collective set of ultras that we had all run in the past.  

The weather during the early miles was a drizzle, but it didn't bother us much.  We had fun comparing notes of races and trails we had done in the past and planned to do this coming year.  They did find it a bit entertaining that I was coupling these two events together, fully knowing going into a 52 mile run with sore legs may make for a world of hurt towards the end.  

After a few quick stops at some of the courses main sites, including the Johnny Kelley statue and the Newton Fire House we made out way to Wellesley.  We laughed knowing that our way back through we would be in what is known as the scream tunnel where the college's students would come out to cheer and we would be able to hear them from miles away.  The whole run out was some what surreal.  It felt like the calm before the storm.  


Dunkin's in Natick
Of course as we approached the Natick line, the storm, literally a storm, complete with torrential downpour and thunder and lightening came through.  At one point I was running in ankle deep water, hunched over trying to hide behind my hat.  It was almost as if the weather gods wanted to make sure that I didn't feel left out from last years deluge.

We arrived at our first major stop of the day, Dunking Donuts right around mile 10 of the marathon course (16.2 if you are running it in reverse).  After some hash browns, a double espresso, and adding another runner to our group, we headed back out as the rain began to temper off.  


The start (Half Way)
The remaining 10 miles we picked the pace up a bit and chatted with the volunteers, MPs, and police along the way.  We were told no less then 10 times, "You are going the wrong way" in which we promptly responded with "It is faster than taking the bus" (We probably should have said more reliable as we heard a horror story yet again of a bus getting lost between Boston and Hopkinton). 

After a solid climb over the final three miles we arrived at the start.  Half way done.  Out (minus the Dunkin's stop): 3:48:49.  

After a quick pit stop at athlete's village to say hi to some friends and refuel on a few Cliff bars, I made my way to my starting corral.  Greg and I both had Wave 1 numbers.  We opted to move the back of the wave full well knowing that we would not be starting sub 7 minute pace.  

As we made our way back to the starting line, the announcer said something that stuck with me for the entire race.  “Whether you are running for a charity, your family, or yourself, good luck and be proud.” I looked at Greg and said “All three!” 

Now that the official race was underway, I was representing a cause that was bigger than myself.  Since I woke up that morning I had raised over $500 thanks to everyone's support.  I would finish the day off raising over $1000.  This day, with turning this race into my own personal ultramarathon was like an alignment of the planets with everything that I cared so deeply about. 

Those first few miles of the Boston Marathon are completely electric.  The crowds are crazy.  While we picked the pace up into the 7:40s, we were still sitting back and watching people take off.  We zig zagged from one side of the road to the other slapping five with every kid that held up their hand up.  We even joked that if we convinced just one kid to run the Double Boston later in life, then we had succeeded. 

Greg is a really interesting person.  He is a total extrovert and when he applies himself to something, he always does it 100%.  I have seen him competitive mode in both triathlons and ultramarathons and he is laser focused.  But today, he was in celebration mode and even with that, he was still applying himself at 100%.  At mile 5 (really 31) he stopped for his first beer.  Every time a someone yelled "You're awesome!" he yelled back "No you're awesome!" He elevated everything around him on the course.  The fans, the volunteers, the runners, and me. 

Shortly before the half way point back, I was really starting to drag.  Luckily we were entering the Wellesley scream tunnel and I got the boost of energy that I needed.  I must have run at least a quarter mile slapping five.

There is a theory that when you do something nice or something to make someone smile, your brain releases dopamine, which in turn makes you happy.  There is also a theory that if you are happy you can run faster.  I felt like everything that we were doing on this day was fueling my race and I literally could not get enough.  


Mile 44 with Amy and the Kids
By the time we got back to Newton, I was getting pretty warm out and I was starting to feel a bit nauseous.  Greg said he would stay with me no matter what pace I wanted to run so I just kept pushing on.  This is the section of the race that was specifically important as I would be passing by family, friends, all of those who have supported us on this journey and my friends at NF Northeast who got me the bib for this race.  And this year, not concerned with my finishing time, I would be stopping, say hi, taking pictures, and most importantly saying thank you.  As we crossed Interstate 95, I explained how important this was to Greg and he said, "I will never run this race again any other way then this way. It is celebration and is meant to be celebrated."
Mile 45 with Diana and Karen

Shortly before the Newton Firehouse is when it all began.  I heard "Scot!!!!!!!" and stopped for a picture with my friend Melissa and her family.  Less than a mile later it happened again and we stopped to say hi to Amy and the kids and then again and again.  Next was Diana and Karen from NF Northeast and then on to the Somerville Road Runner (SRR) stop with my parents at the 30k mark.  The whole thing was a total whirlwind.  I have never before been so much in the moment. 

First at the SRR stop and then again at the Zoom Multisport stop 2 miles later I had a few sips of beer and it more than did the trick.  My stomach settled and all of a sudden I got that second wind that I knew I had.  I was moving smoothly again and I even dropped a 7:56 for mile 50.  After quick stops to say hi to my sister-in-law, Laura, and then my friend Mike, I zeroed in on the finish. 

If there is one part that really stuck out in my last two Boston Marathons, it is when you go under the route 2 bridge where it was painted Boston Strong after the events of 2013.  You look down and it says "1 mile to go." In 2017 when it was in the mid 80's the carnage was crazy.  It looked like something out of the Walking Dead.  I was so pleased to see this year the level of effort that everyone was putting in.  I like to call this part the section where the pity party ends and you get it together.

As I made my right on Hereford, I saw an older man pushing himself backwards in a wheel chair by one foot.  As I went by I gave him my final high five of the day.  The smile on his face was even better than the kids I had been high fiving throughout the race.  

As I turned onto Boylston, I picked the pace up and ran hard straight through the finish with my arms raised in the air.  Now having run the Boston Marathon three times, I finally feel like I have experienced the race for what it is meant to be.  A celebration! 


-- 2019 Bucket List Item #3 Complete - Back: 3:45:45, Total: 7:34:34 -- GPS Track --

Celebrating with our 26.2 brew compliments of the Park Plaza
Recap
Even after a few days, I am still trying to process these epic races.  Honestly, I can't believe the whole thing went by that quickly.  

Was I concerned that I wouldn't be able to finish? A little bit. Was I hurting at different points of both races and wanting to stop?  Yes.  Did I ever falter in my belief that I would be able to finish the races?  No.

Looking back all I really want to say is thank you to everyone who has been on this journey with us.  Whether you joined me for a training run, helped us fundraise or made a donation, lended an ear when I was loosing my mind, or ran the whole 52.4 mile with me, thank you, thank you, thank you.  

- Scot


See you next time.  Pic compliments of Urvi


Comments