The Sun Rises in the East and Sets in the West: Local Running in the Solo Era

"It's not where you take the trail, it's where the trail takes you." - Unknown

Running has always been an anchor in my life. Something I have control over, a way to handle stress, relax, feel accomplished, and stay in shape.  Over the past weeks it has been as important as ever to help maintain (partial) sanity. During this time I have had to shift away from my lunch running (there is no lunch break anymore) and primarily run early.

This post is a celebration of every sunrise I've seen and every trail I have covered as I continue to keep my run streak alive.  The hashtags #seensolo and #seenlocal have empowered the running community to share our passion in a new way and have encouraged me to continue to do what I love; see the world through running.

Streak Day 2,276, Solo Day 2: Tuesday Hills - A Frosty Robbins Farm Park

With the track closed, moving to hills multiple day per week

Streak Day 2,280, Solo Day 6: Blue Hills - Buck Hill
Ran the roads westbound in the dark picking up the trail at first light.  Saw other runners near the end.
Streak Day 2,283, Solo Day 9: Western Greenway
My all time favorite trail.  Seen mostly by head lamp and totally solo.  Getting used to seeing the sun come up day after day.

Streak Day 2,285, Solo Day 11: Reservoir Loop in the Fells
Still have only done this one a hand full of times and really struggled to stay on route until the sun came up.

Streak Day 2,287, Solo Day 13: Hapgood Wright Forest (Concord and Back)
Exploring some new trails and the secret RT 2 underpass.   

Streak Day 2,294, Solo Day 20: Exploring the Eastern Fells - Historic Trail
Having run at the Fells dozens of times, finally went exploring into some less inhabited areas I've never seen.

Streak Day 2,297, Solo Day 23: 3rd Straight Tuesday on the Western Greenway
Head lamp no longer needed.  Took another stop at my favorite bench.  Little bit of carnage from the previous day's wind storm required some scrambling to get over fallen trees.  

Streak Day 2,303, Solo Day 26: Lexington, Arlington, and Whipple Hill
Caught the sunrise perfectly.  Reached the highest point in Lexington.  

Streak Day 2,304, Solo Day 27: The Non Boston Marathon Social Distancing Run for Hope
Hyper early long run using my ability as a runner to help combat this pandemic.  Sunrise over the Ashland Reservoir.  Together, apart, we can get through this.

I hope you have enjoyed my exploring.  Until we can run together again.

- Scot

Comments