Half Way Through 2020, Current Projects, and My First Gear Review

First Half of 2020

Well we are halfway through 2020 and as you can probably guess, it isn't what anyone expected.  None the less, I'm continuing to churn out miles and have been working on a few big projects in the absence of racing. 

As of end of June, I've logged 1696 miles with 123k' climbing. This is the most I've logged in the first half of the year ever. I had a really strong start with 300+ mile months in January, February, and March.  I've raced a few times this year, once in person, Frozen Yeti running 63.7 miles, and then the East vs. West Coast Virtual Ultra, knocking out a 50k twice with a fastest time of 4:12. 

Anyways, below are few projects that I have been working on; some closer to coming to fruition than others. 

Current Projects

1. Logging enough miles to cover the earth's circumference at the equator.

The circumference of the earth at the equator is 24,901 miles.  I started logging my running miles on Strava in 2007.  I have been keeping an eye on the number after hitting 3000+ miles each of the last few years and am nearly there.  At the time of writing this, I am at 24,859.  Just over 40 miles to go. 

It will be a few more years until I get to the moon (238,855 miles) though. 

2. Running Every Road in Belmont (my home town).

Ever since Rickey Gates ran ever street in San Francisco in 2018, I've been joking that I was going to run every road in Belmont, MA.  Well, when the state of the world changes, you need to find projects to keep yourself busy. 

So a few weeks ago, I generated a heat map of my running and have been knocking off streets a few days a week.  It has been surprisingly fun and has kept my attention.  Between the Strava heat map and the dwMap app (more details below), it has been pretty easy to map out and follow routes. 

I am now 9 dedicated runs in and have another 3-4 of 8-10 miles each left to go. 

3. Summiting the NH 48 4000 Footers

This project hit its half way point last Sunday when I summitted Hale during our camping trip.  While it probably will take me another year or two to knock them all off, its still fun project to work on.  My
Mnt Hale
limiter here is simply finding time to drive up, spend 6-12 hours in the Mountains, and drive back home. 

The first 24 were broken down into 4 major traverses and 2 solo climbs (Hale and Moosilauke). My estimate is that I need at least 8 more trips to complete the remaining peaks. 


4. 250k' Climbing for the Year

This one is a bit funny.  I have been around 200k' climbing a year for the last couple of years now.  For the average road runner, that is a lot.  For the average mountain runner, that is not very much.  As I spend more and more time on the trails and as much in the mountains as I can, I think I have a realistic shot at getting to a quarter million feet climbing on the year.  Focus and discipline is all it takes. 

My First Gear Review

For those that know me well, you know that I am a bit of minimalist when it comes to gear.  Over the course of the years, I've come to find what works well for me and what I have been using in a world with less amenities. 

Hats

Not having much hair, you will rarely see me running without a hat (really only if I forget it).  There isn't much to review here as I either run in a custom printed Headsweats cap I bulk ordered as a NF fundraiser or my Loon Mountain Ski Hat I got while running the race. 

Neck Gator

Not part of my traditional running gear, but guess what, it is 2020.  Luckily I had a set off Buff branded neck gators that I got at races, notable the TARC Frozen Yeti, and have been wearing one of them on almost every run.  They seem to do alright with moisture and dry quickly and a plus sign, my kids like them as well. 

Shoes

I've been running in one model or another of Adidas racing flats for the past 10 years now.  I haven't had a serious running injury (knock on wood) and only a few flare ups.  Anyways, splitting my time between the Boston 8 and the Adios 4 currently.  Unfortunately, running shoes are like cars.  They get bigger with each model and eventually you have to go down a model to get back to what you want.  The Boston 7, no longer sold, was probably my favorite model this far. 

Shorts (Loose)

My shorts are broken up into two categories as they really have different purposes.  For loose shorts I have been wearing the Adidas Squadra 17 for the last couple of years.  They really are soccer shorts, but light enough that I feel they work well for running as well. 

Shorts (Compression)

The only reason I wear compression shorts is to have a pockets.  I have been unable to find a pair of loose running shorts that keep my phone and keys in place so on the days I need to carry them, I wear compression shorts under the loose fitting shorts. 

Early this year I found a brand of tights with pockets that I really liked and they have a short version as well.  The brand is Yelpro, but is manufactured and sold through a range of retailers.  They are pretty cheap and you can get a 3 pack for $24.  They stay up well, don't ride up from the bottom, breath, and have two side pockets. 

Tights

I also break up tights into a few categories as well.  For now, I'll just talk about racing vs. training.  In general, I start wearing tights around 50 degrees and either switch to warmer tights or start layering them around 20 degrees and below. 

For racing tights, I have been a big fan of the 2XU brand for many years now.  They are as snug as you can get and I really have found the additional compression has helped with late race muscle fatigue. 

For non-racing, similar to the compression shorts, I really want something that has a pocket that can comfortably carry my phone in.  This did not used to be such a big deal, but with demands of work and parenting, having my phone has become more important over the years.  As mentioned above, I really like the Yelpro brand and now have 5-6 pairs of the tights.  They come in a range of colors, all with two side pockets, similar to the shorts, and you can get a pack of 3 for under $30

Hydration Pack

I've been running ultra-marathons for 9 years now and am on my 3rd pack.  The 1st two were simple Camelbak packs with simple bladder. In 2017, before my first 100 miler I upgraded to a Salomon 5L and have been very happy with that since then.  It stretches enough to cram in extra foot and clothing for a
long day in the mountains, has enough room for a 2L bladder (thought I use it with a 1.5L), and 2 more flasks in the front (normally I keep my phone in one the flask holders in the front).

All and all this thing has been pretty durable surviving: two 100 mile races, five trips to the whites including two Pemi loops, and a 46 mile race in the Canary Islands among others.  The only downside is one of the zippers in the back broke.  If you are a gel fan, make sure to wash it if you get it gunked up. 

Watch

I am now on my 4th (3rd GPS) running watch (all Garmin).  I started with Forerunner 50 (no GPS, just a foot pod) back in 2007, moved up to the 405 in 2010, the onto the 220, then the 235, and now the 245. 

In my latest upgrade, I was looking for 2 things at a moderate price point: battery life and maps.  Initially all roads lead to the Fenix coming in at $600 or more.  Luckily I found the 245, priced at $300, with an add on app, dwMap, for an additional $30 to meet my needs. 
The 245 claims to get 24 hours of on GPS mode (I got around 20 during last falls 100).  It allows for charging while recording and charges pretty quick.  Dynamic Watch maps allows for uploading a GPX route using your computer or phone and will pull the maps from your phone connection (assuming you have phone service).  I have used this extensively over the past year and have been very happy with how it works.  I use the mapping app every time I head out into the mountains and have been using it as part of my ever street in Belmont project. 

I hope you enjoyed this post, have hung in there for the first half of 2020, and are looking forward to what the second half will bring. 

- Scot



Comments