2022 - Tightening Friendships Through Running

 "Friends are those who lift you up, when no one else has even noticed that you have fallen." - Unknown

2022 was another hard, but full year.  Balancing work, parenting, and running with a few trips in between pretty much took all of our time. 

I think I ran less alone this year then any of the last five.  When people ask Amy about my running she likes to reply with "The impressive part is that he is able to convince others to do it with him."

Frozen Yeti

The year started off with the Frozen Yeti.  The plan was to break my all time mileage high in January culminating with the race and then immediately go into the run the date project (miles per day of the month) in February.  Unfortunately the weather had other ideas and the race got pushed back a week torpedoing the run the date project.  

In January, I put in some of the biggest runs I had since the pandemic began. I had back to back weekends with a 30 and a 35 miler with 4am starts in single digit temps with negative wind chills, all with Keith by my side.  

None the less, I managed a 338 mile month and 47 miles in the race; run entirely on ice.  For the full recap click here

Biggest Month Ever / Project Karalyn

After a quick recovery, I got back on the train and knocked out another 271 miles in February.  My highest mileage month (350 miles) ever was September 2019 when I was training for my last 100 mile race, the Midstate Massive.  This past March, I was finally able to top that increasing my new total to 372 miles for a single month.  

Also in March is when "Project Karalyn" began.  We decided it was time that Karalyn qualified for Boston and what course better to do it on, then well Boston. I put together a training plan, swapped out hills on Thursday for tempo miles, worked on our power words, and then we did a number of group runs with intervals mixed in.  

By race day we had Karalyn convinced she was invincible and she went on to run a 3:29 and qualify for the 2023 Boston Marathon.  One of my proudest moments as a couch.    

The Run to Stop the Hate

Exiting March with a huge aerobic base, I wanted to use my miles for something positive.  I try to do two runs a year that I use as fundraisers.  This year I designed a route where I ran from the Massachusetts State House to the Rhode Island State House in what I called "The Run to Stop the Hate."

For the benefactors of this run, I chose BAGLY (Boston Alliance of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Youth) and WCK (World Central Kitchen) as a way of speaking out against the invasion of Ukraine and the hateful legislation being passed in some states.

For a full recap on my 50 mile day, click hereSpecial thanks to my friends Becca, Karalyn, Lisa, Donal, and Doug for starting with me.

 

Iceland

During April break, we took the whole family to Iceland for 5 days.  This was the second time for Neil, Amy, and I and the first for Nat.  We rented an RV and made our way out to some the sights including Geysir and
Seljalandsfoss (a waterfall you can walk behind).  I even went for a run through some bubbling mud springs and was very careful to stay on the marked trail.  All and all an awesome trip. 

 

Nat's Surgeries and Covid

Our April - June was a bit of trying time.  Nat had his adenoids and tonsils removed at the end of April and then had to go back in to get a slow bleed fixed a week later.  In May, Amy, Neil, and I all got Covid and in June Nat had the second half of his surgery, installation of Pherengal flap, to help stop air from escaping his throat when he talked.  

We are happy to report that now that he has recovered, he is doing well and even has a whole new set of endurance. 

The White Mountains

In June and July, I got up to the White Mountains a few times.  Donal and I tagged the Hancocks and Owl's Head on one trip and Neil and I climbed Cannon a week later.  

Keith and I attempted a hut traverse in early August, but between the humidity and starting in the dark, I was just moving too slow to complete it amount of time I had.  

I have 9 peaks left to complete the 48 and am optimistic that I can finish them next year.  

Run Your Age


In August, I ran my age on my birthday for the 8th straight year.  I had a good group of friends including Doug, Lisa, Ray, and Karalyn that started out with me and Becca who did the whole 42 (Becca and I the same age). Afterward Becca kept telling everyone "We ran our age." 

We also were able to raise $1252 to support NF research.

 

Ourey

In September, I visited Ourey, CO for a running trip with my friends Doug and Donal.  We summited our first 14k'er, Mnt Sneffels and got in over 40 miles with over 15k' of climbing.  For a full write up on the trip, see here.  

The Mash Dash

In October, my friends and I ran across Massachusetts as part of the Mass Dash relay test run.  We covered 146 miles in just over 20 hours and had an absolute blast doing it. 

This run was made possible by DMSE Sports and fully supported by Ron and Howard Kramer (a father / son duo that have been working the Boston Marathon / Dave's adventures forever) and was a fundraiser for the Dave McGillivray's Finish Strong Foundation. More info here

The Philadelphia Marathon Weekend

Over the summer, Sharon, the director of NF Northeast, reached out and said she wanted to put in a team for the Philly Marathon Festival.  The festival has 3 races to chose from: an 8k (~5 miles), a half marathon, and a full marathon.  

Throughout the year I like to switch up the distances I run and I usually end the year with the some shorter, faster races.  Amy and I both got onboard and I signed up for the half marathon while Amy signed up for the 8K.  

Four other runners also joined and I got to have some fun coaching three of them (two in the half marathon and one in the marathon).  

On November 18th, we drove down to Philly for the weekend and had a blast racing and catching up friends.  I even managed to knock out a 1:22 half, my second fastest ever and fastest since 2014.  

The Jingle Bell Run / World Cup Final

My final race of the year was a 5k in Somerville named the Jingle Bell Run.  It happened to coincide with the World Cup final so it involved a bit of fun trying to make the two work together.  

Doug, Donal, and I ran to Davis and then watched the first half at Elm St Pub where we met up with

Karalyn, Lisa, Steve, and Carrie-Anne while having a Guinness. The first half ended three minutes before the race started and we ran out the door to the starting line.  I managed to run a 17:57 race and then headed immediately to Foundry's pub to watch the second half.  I think I only missed about five minutes of the game.     

After regulation, we jogged over to Orleans and watched overtime and the shoot out before running the three miles home.  All and all an awesome day. 

By the Numbers

  • Races run: 7 (3 5k's, a relay, a half, a marathon, and an ultra)
  • NH 4000 footers: 4 new / 5 total
  • FKTs: 1 (The Run to Stop the Hate)
  • Longest run: 50.52 miles (The Run to Stop the Hate)
  • Miles Run: 3500 (166.8 less than last year, 2nd most ever in a year)
  • Time Running: 523 hours
  • Climbing: 216, 581'
  • 9th consecutive year of running every day
  • 8th consecutive year of running my age on my birthday 
  • 6th Coast to Cure NF
  • 5th year directing the Apple Run 5k
  • 4th year directing the Wellington Fun Run 
  • Total Streak Miles: 27,818
  • Total Miles Tracked: 33,591

How Far Did I Get

This year I made it to Madrid, Spain. 

A Look Back

2022 really was the year of the group run.  From frigid temperatures in January with Keith to tempo runs with Karalyn in March to mountain climbs with Doug and Donal and getting up at 5:30 to run with Becca 6 days a week, I barely ran alone.  

The year was also not without its challenges.  From Nat's surgeries to Covid to a hectic work schedule (including trips to San Francisco, California and Hyderabad India) there was little to no down time.  

Looking back I am grateful for the friends (and support system) that I have made through running.  Without them I am not sure where I would be during a stressful year. 

Looking Forward to 2023

2023 is already lining up to be an epic year.  

By March our new camper van (custom Sprinter Van) will be fully outfitted.  

Next June, I take on a new race distance and go into unexplored territory at the Tahoe 200 (205 miles).  This will bring my training to new heights and will result in both new high's for most miles in a week and a month.  

I plan on continuing with many of my other endeavors as well including coaching, race directing, pacing,  and Cannoli / Donut runs. 

I have a couple other crazy things in the works as well so stay tuned.

Finally, at the end of 2023 my run streak will turn 10 years old.  

See you next year.

- Scot

Christmas Eve Cannoli / Donut Run in 10 degrees


Comments