The Other Streak

As many of you know I started a running streak (at least 1 mile per day) on January 1st, 2014.  The streak is still active and now at 696 days.  The streak has given me discipline in running, how I plan my life, and plays a major role in how I get through every day.

What you may not know is that 14 months prior to starting my running streak, I started a donation streak.  The concept is simple, donate at least $1 per mile run each month.  I am fortunate to have a good job, a supportive family, recognize that this is not the case for everyone.  I started this streak as a way to force myself to keep up with my charitable giving.

My donation streak turned three years old at the end of October.  During the three years, I ran 7,099 miles and have donated to 48 separate charities.  Through this time, I have seen my monthly milage increase from 137 to a peak of 300 with an average of 197.  In November of 2013, one of the charities I contributed to, Invisible Children, even did a spotlight on me.

Pic compliments of the Belmontonian
While I am proud of this accomplishment, I am as proud to have many friends that are so involved in charitable programs themselves.  Whether it is raising money while training for the Boston Marathon, organizing one of the largest charitable cycling teams in New England, or working directly for a non-profit charitable organization, you are doing your part.

I don't have any plans on stopping either of my streaks and hope that everyone else will continue with the work that they do also.

Together lets continue to make a difference.

- Scot

For more info on my charitable giving, see the fundraising section of my blog. I am always looking for new and interesting charities to contribute to and suggestions are welcome.

Comments