2017 - The year to seize the moment

After a 2016 that had many ups and downs, I wanted 2017 to be different.  I wanted to go back to when running truly was an adventure and I wanted to find a way to add more meaning to it. This also would be the year that I graduated to the 100 mile distance and I had no idea what that would truly entail. 

2017 didn't disappoint.  After committing to raising $10, 000 for NF Northeast on last new year's eve, I was gifted a Boston Marathon number to represent them.  I hoped the pledge would bring good things, I just didn't expect them to happen within the first few days of the year.

Races, Adventures, and Fundraising
I started the year strong with a 4th place overall finish at the Ruck a Chuck 50k near Auburn, CA.  The race had a whopping 7,500' climbing.  In April, I completed my second Boston Marathon, first time as a charity runner, and was able to savor it this time, slapping five with everyone I knew throughout the course.

In May, we held our first annual NF Comedy Night Benefit with the help of Improvised History and it was a huge success.  In fact, our fundraising had gone so well through the first half of the year that we reached out initial goal and set a new one.

The second half of 2017 truly was an adventure.  First, I took on the Wapack Trail and then chased it with a traverse of the Pemi Loop, one of my bucket list items.  These runs also took on additional meaning as I ran them in my NF singlet as my new goal was to raise as much awareness about NF as I could. 

In August, I really got down to business with my racing and training and knocked out 37 miles on my birthday and then chased it with a 3rd place overall finish in the TARC Summer Classic 40-miler the next day.  This capped off my first 110 mile week.

Next, we made a pit stop at the Falmouth Road Race, where Amy and I both represented NF Northeast and Amy ran her longest race ever.

From there I would put in two more weeks above 110 miles capped off with my longest run ever, 67 miles, at the Coast to Cure NF bike ride.  This was the single most rewarding run I have ever done and huge thank you to Keith, Patrick, Mike, and Meryl for the support and / or company throughout the run.

A few weeks later I ran and completed the pinnacle event of my year, the Hennepin 100.  This event made me dig deeper then I ever had to before and has shown me what it means to really push through.  This really was a huge group effort from Amy and Neil supporting me throughout the race, to my parents for watching Nat for a few days, to everyone that donated and sent messages of encouragement throughout the race.  Thank you. 

I finished off the year with a few shorter distance races and trail runs including the Cambridge Half, the Gobble X 3, Mill Cities relay, and traverses of both of the Boston Skyline Trails.

To cap off a fun filled year, I finally completed and published my book "The Multisport Maniac: An Endurance Enthusiast's Guide to Tackling Events of all Distances." This was eight years in the making.

2017 By the Numbers
  • 3007 miles: 7 more then 2016
  • 150,000' climbing: Most ever in a year
  • 12 races
  • New longest run, twice: Coast to Cure NF (67) and Hennepin 100
  • New 50 Mile, 100k, and 100 mile PRs
    • Neil set a new PR in the 2K by nearly 2 minutes
  • 4 adventure runs: Wapack, Pemi Loop, Coast to Cure NF, and Skyline to Skyline
  • 3 bucket list items retired: Pemi Loop, Run 100 Miles, Publish a Book
  • 4th consecutive year of running every day
  • Best fundraising year yet

Where did I get
Literally the exact same place as 2016 (Forest Hill, CA).  Some day I'll make it to the pacific.



2018
Next year, we plan on expanding on the adventure front and continuing on our NF fundraising and awareness campaigns.

We are headed to the Canary Islands for our big family trip where I will take on Transvulcania, a tough / technical ultra that is only outdone by its spectacular views and scenery.

I am also aiming to get out for more adventurous runs and tackle both the Presidential Traverse and Hut Traverse in the White Mountains.

We plan on holding the 2nd annual NF Comedy Night Benefit in the spring and we will be back at Falmouth with NF Northeast and then at Coast to Cure NF over the summer.

We are also brainstorming some other fun fundraising campaigns and family adventures. 

Who knows what is in store.



- Scot


Comments