The Adventures Continue - First Half of 2018

I usually don't do mid year checkpoints, but since we have packed so much into 2018 thus far, I decided why not.

Before getting started, I wanted to share a couple of metrics on how 2018 has gone
thus far.

- Total Mileage: 1570 miles (nearly 200 miles farther than last year at this time)
- Total Climbing: 140k' (only 10k less than last year's total)
- 5 races complete (3 ultra's, a 5K, and a Snowshoe Half Marathon)
- Another $7000 raised to combat Neurofibromatosis
- More time in the woods than ever before (Blue Hills, Fells, Western Greenway, Wachusett, Mid-State, Leominster State Forest, Canary Islands, and the White Mountains)

The year started off with frigid cold weather, a new job, and the beginning of new training and fundraising cycles.  I had one of my biggest challenges yet to come (Transvulcania - 46 miles with 15k' climbing) and I needed to find my new groove and my new running routes.  After a number of 50 mile weeks with minimal climbing, the real work got started. I completed the first 2 months of the year without any racing with 231 and 250 miles respectively.

Running through a Sun Rise at the Fells
March brought my first two tests as I won my age group at the US National Snowshoe Championship Half Marathon and took 3rd overall at the TARC to Hale and Back 6 Hour.  I had now developed a strong base and it was time to really ramp up the climbing.  I started knocking out 8-10k' climbing per week regularly cramming anything in wherever I could.

In April we held the second annual Comedy Night to Beat NF with shows by Improvised History and Poseidon Improv to kick start our fundraising for the year.  

Our trip to the Canary Islands for Transvulcania was a blast and the race was more difficult than I could have dreamed.  By the end, I even convinced myself it was as hard as running in the White Mountains (it is not).

A month later I doubled down and raced The North Face Massachusetts and was able to hold strong for a 10th overall finish, securing my 2nd set of UTMB points for 2019 (CCC here I come -- hopefully).

I finished the first half of the year doing what I love, running in the Mountains.  With our friend Dana visiting from the West Coast, we headed up to the White Mountains for another jaunt of the Pemi loop (Last year's write up).  A little under 12 hours / 6 liters of water later we popped back out at the bridge to the Lincoln Woods parking lot completing one hell of a first half of 2018. 

Raising my arms in triumph after finishing my 2nd Pemi Loop
- Scot

Second Half of 2018

- Hopefully a Presidential Traverse before the end of the month
- Run your age, year 38 edition 
- Back to Falmouth in August
- Back to Coast 2 Cure NF in September (40 mile route this year)
- Maybe a fall Marathon / and or FKT attempt
- More Mountains (can I get to 1/4 million feet climbing in a year?)


Comments