2019 - Applying Everything I Have Learned

2019 has been quite a successful year in sport.  Between racing, fundraising, and directing events, it is giving 2014, my best season, a run for its money. While on paper my biggest result was finally cracking a sub 3 hour marathon in March, I truly feel that I accomplished a lot this year and was able to use running not only to explore new things, but to give back and share with others.  Below are some highlights from the year.

Marshfield Marathon
The year started out with a 3:12 marathon down in Marshfield.  It was a warm (60 degree) and very windy day.  While I didn't hit my goal time of sub 3, it did feel good to start the year off strong and be able to tell everyone that I was on pace for more than 10,000 miles for the year for a few hours.

Ocean's Run
My next big race was on March 2nd, where I finally cracked the 3 hour barrier.  This goal had eluded me for the last 5 years after I came within 45 seconds back in 2014.  With some solid training and a bunch of miles at marathon pace, I felt like I skated through the race with ease and only had to really dig for those last 3 miles.  This was also the first time I negative split a marathon.  I finished in 2:57 (1:29 first half. 1:28 second half).

Tuckerman's Inferno / Double Boston Marathon Weekend
This year I did not have plans to run the Boston Marathon.  I also like to pick one race every year that is a little bit different than your typical road or trail run.  Last year it was a half marathon at the Snow Shoe National Championship in Vermont. This year I decided I would finally sign up for a race in the White Mountains called Tuckerman's Inferno that I have been eyeing since my triathlon days.  The race is five legs: run, kayak, bike, hike, and downhill ski. 


Post Ocean's run, I got an email from NF Northeast saying they thought they could get a Boston Marathon bib if I was interested.  After a little bit of convincing Amy, I signed up.  I was still riding the high from my recent PR and had always wanted to run the Double Boston (Boston to Hopkinton back to Boston for a total of 52.4 miles), so I decided I would do that as well.

Unfortunately, these races were the same weekend, so I would need pretty much everything I have learned and all the endurance I had built up over the past 12 years to do this.  Luckily, it all went pretty smoothly and I had a blast.  Super special shout out to Amy for supporting me in this venture.  Click here for the full write up.

The AMC Three Huts Loop
After a tackling a couple 5k races (including a PR with Nat in the Stroller) in May, I made my way back up to the White Mountains to tackle what I called the Three Huts Loop at the end of June.  I've been up to the Whites for long runs a few times and one route that I have always wanted to do is the Hut Traverse.  There are eight huts in the Appalachian Mountain Club system and a full traverse takes you over 46 miles with 16,000' climbing and hits all of them.  This is both physically and logistically difficult to do.  As a warm up for this, Doug and I decided to just tackle the three Northern most Huts and make it into a loop.  As a bonus, we submitted the route for a Fastest Known Time and are proud owners of our own FKT

The Midstate 100
After an easy July, I began the ramp up for my biggest event of the year, the Midstate 100.  This year I was originally hoping to go to Chamonix, France and race the CCC 100k, but the lottery gods did not shine on me and I was denied entry.

After taking some time to see what really interested me, I found the Midstate 100.  The race covers the Midstate trail, a trail that goes from the NH border to the RI border through central Massachusetts.  Exploring more of the trail was already on my list of things to do, which made it a perfect fit.

Training for the Midstate brought my mileage to new heights.  In the peak of it I knocked out 297 miles (including back to back 100+ mile weeks for the first time) in three weeks and then just after a week recovery went on to win my first ultra at the TARC Fall Classic 50k.  Going into the race I felt fitter than ever.

The race was tough and was everything that I bargained for.  From technical trails, to swinging temperature changes, to sleep deprivation, I got it all.  With great support from my crew and pacers, Amy, Doug, and Neil, I was able to was able to make it through as the 3rd finisher overall.  It was a great experience and really showed me some of things that I need to work on.  Full write up on the Midstate 100.

(Re-)Learning I'm Human
Post Midstate I re-learned something that I already knew: recovering from a 100 mile race is more difficult than the race and if you push it too fast then you will have to pay for it.  This time around my fatigue dissipated pretty quickly, but every time I tried to get going again, I either got sick or injured.  First it was the Knee, then the Glute, and then the Achilles.


Finishing Strong
Even with the injuries I was able to finish the year strong. On December 29th I made my way out to Groton and completed the Groton Marathon, my sixth race of marathon distance or longer on the year. 

Giving Back
This year I continued to give back in anyway I could.  We hosted our second Ninja Feet Running camp in June, I continued my race director duties at the Apple Run (Formerly the Scharfman Run), and picked up new duties at our elementary school's fun run.  All and all it is fun to see others get into running and be able to share my experience and expertise with them. 

By the Numbers
  • Races run: 13
  • PR's: 2 (Marathon and Stroller 5k)
  • 1st FKT
  • Longest run and longest time out there: 103.7 miles, 24 hours, 54 minutes
  • Miles Run: 3244 (232 more than last year)
  • Time Running: 463 hours
  • Climbing: 207k'
  • 6th consecutive year of running every day
  • 5th consecutive year of running my age on my birthday
  • 3rd best fundraising year
Where Did I Get
After getting to California, each of the last three years, I finally made it to the Pacific.


Where should I shoot for next?  Rumor has it that sometime next year my lifetime miles will surpass the circumference of the earth at the equator (24,901 miles). Party?

Stay tuned for more fun in 2020.

- Scot






Comments