The Western Greenway Fastest Known Time

I've lived in Belmont, MA for over 15 years now.  I've been running parts of the Western Greenway, a 6.85 mile route that starts just west of Belmont Center and goes out to Bentley University, dating back at least 10 years. 

For most of this time, I have been running segments of and didn't even know where the official start was until earlier this year.  Over the past 7 months this trail has become my haven as I have sought to avoid others during the pandemic. I have run most of the trail (in one direction) over 30 times this year in all conditions: heat, snow, rain, and in the dark.  

This is by far my favorite trail and I just love how it offers a variety of terrain, from rocky and technical to flat and fast, with many different types of vegetation throughout.  

The existing Fastest Known Time for the Greenway was an out and back of 1:56:06 set by Jason DeJoannis back in 2018.     

Location: Belmont, MA / Waltham, MA
Date: 10/25/2020
Distance: 13.7
Current FKT: 1:56:06
My Time: 1:41:52 (7:25 / mile)

Not having much on the racing calendar, I've been eyeing some FKT's and OKT's (Only Known Time) for a while.  I've always talked about going after the Western Greenway, but simply never got around to giving it a real effort.  Now that the New England weather has cooled off, I thought perfect time to give it a go.  

Back in 2017, I gave the most of the eastbound direction a solid go, so I had an idea on how fast I could run the trails.  The main question was, could I keep that up for an out and back? 

The Start

I started off right at sunrise at a brisk 40 degrees.  Put on my NF Northeast racing kit complete with my bright red running tights and after a short 3/4 mile warm up to the start, I took few minutes to compose myself before setting off.  

I started out quick with a 7:07 mile on a mix of trail and roads as I went around Weeks Pond and up Somerset st and through the Audubon.  After crossing into Loan Tree Hill and picking up Pine Cone Alley, I opened it up and was able to drop a 6:49 as ran through Rock Meadow.  From there I backed off a bit and tried to find a more comfortable pace, but still made sure to keep pushing.  

Starting on the Belmont side, the first half is pretty run-able, but you have to know where you are going.  There are some sneaky turns and the trail markers seem to come and go every year.  Once you cross pass the apartment complex, it gets a little more technical and this time of year has a decent amount of leaves on the ground.  As I hit the long bridge over the West Meadow swamp (Mile 4), I opened it back up and was still feeling pretty good.  

Around mile 4.5, you reach my favorite part of the Greenway; the bench.  All spring, summer, and fall, every time I ran by I stopped and took my picture on it (There would be no stopping today).  A nice relaxing place that seems so far removed from the rest of the City of Waltham.  

While my time slowed a bit over the next few miles, I was still able to keep my pace below 8s.  As I got to the turnaround point, I quickly snapped a picture to prove I was there and then hammered back up the hill.  I hit the half way point in 50:17, by far the fastest I have run that direction.  

Western Terminus
The first mile of the return trip was going to be the most painful as you have 2 solid climbs before it flattens back out.  Mile 7 was my first mile over 8 minutes (8:03), but was able to recover quickly dropping a 7:34 to follow it.  The climb back up to the bench was also a little bit of a bear taking me 8:18.  

At this point I was averaging 7:32 and with some of the easier terrain coming gave me a new goal of completing this under 7:30 average.  As I descended back across Walnut st, West Meadow, and into Rock Meadow, I was able to hold around 7 minute pace and was starting to taste victory.  

My final climb back up Pine Cone Alley was bit rough, but all I had after that was some flat / downhill

The Finish
trails to the finish.  As I came back through Weeks Meadow I gave it one final push finishing in 1:41:52 (7:25 / mile), 14:14 under the previous time.  

All and all happy with the effort and happy to put up a time on the trail I love some much.  

- Scot

 

Below are some photos from my and my families time on the trail this year.  

The Bench - Oct 20th

Nat having lunch on the bench Oct 17th

The Bench - Aug 3rd

West Meadow - May 16th




Comments

Pythagoras said…
Hi Scot,
I enjoyed reading your account. I didn't notice the new record until recently (its not like the FKT website sends you an email). Congratulations! You took quite a bit of time off of what I did back before my injury. FKTs have been a great outlet during the pandemic both as a participant and spectator. I live at the other end of the trail in Waltham, so maybe we'll cross each other one day. The greenway is where I learned trail running. My favorite spot happens to be the same as yours, I love running the two switchbacks just below the bench, though I have never actually sat on the bench :)
-Jason