Tacking Solace in the Time Before the Sun Comes Up

As we navigate our way through 2021, I've been doing my best to stay motivated, but as you can imagine, it has been tough.  Between the lack of school, trying to keep up with work, the ability to socialize, the cold weather, and watching the general dysfunction of society, all of us are suffering from a bit of depression.  Over the past few weeks, I've been taking solace more and more in my morning run.  There really is something truly peaceful about going for a run while most the world is still fast asleep.  It truly does set the stage for the day.  

Every Street in Arlington

Having a goal is important; even if it a mostly meaningless goal.  Over the past couple of months, I have been slowly working my way through running every street in Arlington.  Last summer, I did the same in Belmont and got through the entire town in the matter of 3 weeks.  

Sunrise on Spy Pond
Arlington is a bit bigger than Belmont and since I start every run at my house, I lose 4-5 miles simply running back and forth.  None the less, I have been really enjoying exploring the different parts of the town; east Arlington, the heights, Turkey hill, Spy Pond, the Mystics, and the center.  At the time of writing this, I am now 87.92% of the way through and aiming to finish it off over the next week.  

So far, my favorite parts are the Spy Pond area, which can have beautiful sunrises over the water, and Turkey Hill, which has maze of trails interconnecting a number of dead end streets.  

The Donut Series

My latest attempt to stay motivated for long runs on Saturday's mornings is something now known as the donut series.  The past three Saturday's I've run to different donut shops, purchased something for myself and the family, and run back home.  

It started with a run to Union Square Donuts in Brookline in single digit temps which included the Newton Hills and some running along the river.  In the second week, we ran to Doughboy Donuts on Dorchester Ave in Boston and this past weekend went all the way up to Kane's Donuts in Saugus.  So far Union Square Donuts has been my favorite.  

Consistency

After struggling with some glute issues for a lot of 2020, which became quite a bit worse after my run your age and virtual Falmouth runs in August, I was finally able to start finding some consistency over the final eight weeks of the year knocking out 60 miles or more each week.  I'm happy to report that I've carried that consistency into 2021 and with yesterday's runs have now eight consecutive weeks of 70+ miles.  I am currently optimistic about how long I can keep this up for.  If nothing else, I am building a base for some Spring and Summer adventures. 

The Dream

As I anxiously await my turn in the vaccine line, I've been having a re-occurring dream.   After I finally get the chance to make my appoint, I take the morning off from work and run to Fenway Park.  Upon getting vaccinated, I get my picture with the Green Monster in the background before an easy return trip along the river with biggest smile I have ever had on my face.  This vaccine really is our only chance at getting back to a "normal" life.

A Few Goals for 2021

Building out goals in the middle of pandemic is difficult.  I haven't raced in person since the beginning of February 2020 and honestly, I have lost most interest in a lot of in person races anyways.  I'm sure once the world gets closer to back to normal, it will come back, at least for shorter stuff like your local 5k, but for now, I don't have any races planned for the year.  

Now that being said, my eagerness to get back into the mountains for adventures is continuing to increase.  As soon as time and the world allows, I plan to get back up into the White's. I'm thinking, start easy, with Tom, Field, and Willey by Crawford Notch, then tag Galehead, West Bond, and Owls Head on what looks like a modified Pemi loop, and then finally go after the big daddy, the Hut Traverse, sometime in late June or early July. 

In addition to the Whites, I'm thinking of running from Monadnock to Wachusett at some point and hoping to get out to the Grand Canyon in the fall.  

Just writing this has improved my state of mind already. 

The Now

For now, the only choice is to keep plugging away; getting up early and tagging random streets trying to stay sane, trying to be a good husband, father, employee, co-worker, and searching for that perfect sunrise. 

Hattie Symmes Park, 2/15/21, 6:09AM



Comments