2018 - The Year to Share My Love of Running

With 2018 coming to a close, it is always fun to take a look back at everything that happened over the year.  2017 was a really big year for us with my first 100 miler and our biggest year fundraising and we knew it would be difficult to top. 

2018 began with a new job in a new location and included new friends to run with.  I quickly found a new training partner (Ben) who needed (and stills needs) to learn how to regulate his pace a bit better, a couple of new trails, and even a few ponds to run around (Horn Pond and Mill Pond Reservoir). 

Snowshoe Nationals
After a couple of months of solid training, I jumped into a Snowshoe Half Marathon (which also happened to be the National Championship) in VT and even was able to win my age group (also special thanks to Scott and Julie for hosting us for the weekend).  The full write up can be found here.

I completed my first ultra of the year at the end of March at the To Hale and Back 6-hour race.  This was held on a 5k course in the Hale reservation in Westwood, MA and was entirely on snow.  With a bit of grit, I was able to hold on for 3rd place with 30.6 miles.  The full write up can be found here.

After another month of solid training, including a few 90+ mile weeks with 8-11k' climbing, and an unlikely win at the Becca Pizzi 5k (the leaders got lost), we headed off to the Canary Islands.

Transvulcania, a 46 mile race with 15k' climbing was definitely my most memorable event of the year.  From the fireworks at the start to the amazing views through out the race to locals yelling "Vamos" it was an unforgettable experience.  Humbled by the course, I eventually emerged in Los Llanos at the finish in just under 12.5 hours.  Full write up here.
Transvulcania

We capped off the first half of the year with a camping trip in the White Mountains for Neil's birthday where I completed my second traverse of the Pemi Loop, this time counter clockwise.

The second half of 2018 had a bit less running and racing and instead was focused more on sharing my love of running.  First, Becca Pizzi and I (with the help of Amy, some friends, and the NF Northeast Staff) put on the Ninja Feet Running Camp where we had 27 kids join us for 3 days worth of running, yoga, and strength training paired with educational talks. 

Falmouth Kids Race
In 2018, I also became a race director where I co-directed the Dan Scharfman Memorial Race.  This was a great learning experience to see everything that goes into putting on a race from getting permits and insurance to managing the registration and email newsletters to participants.  As an established event in its 6th year with over 700 registered participants, there is a lot to keep track of.  In addition to race directing, I also put on a couch to 5k program for race participants.  The race raised over $30k for the Foundation for Belmont Education and I am excited to do it again next year. 

For the remainder of the year, I focused on getting my speed back while still getting in the occasional "long run."  Some of the highlights included: running my age again, the Falmouth Road Race, Coast to Cure NF (40 mile edition), pacing the Baystate Marathon, the Gobble X 3, and Mill Cities relay. 

2018 By the Numbers
- 3012 miles run (most in a year): 5 more than 2017
- 212k' of climbing (most in a year): 62k' more than 2017
- 10 races (3 ultras)
- Race with the most climbing ever (Transvulcania)
- 8 UTMB Points (holding breath for CCC 2019)
- 2 Adventure Runs: Pemi Loop, Moriah Carters Wildcats Traverse
- 5th consecutive year of running every day
- 4th consecutive year running my age on my birthday
- 2nd best fundraising year (> $10k to NF Northeast)

Where did I get
Literally the exact same place as 2016 and 2017 (Forest Hill, CA).  Some day I'll make it to the pacific.


I am already looking forward to what 2019 has to offer. 

- Scot

Mount Lafayette


  

Comments