2020 - Chasing the Perfect Sunrise

"Uncertainty can be scary, but during a sunrise that uncertainty is luminous. Watching the sunrise every day has helped me see light within myself—potential, possibility, peace, and the feeling that all will be well." - Gina Ryder

As you already know, 2020 was not a typical year.  This was as true in running as much as anything else.  I been thinking about what I was going to write for my year-end post and as I sit down to finally do it, I'm still not really sure how it is going to turn out.  

First, I thought of just going with raw honesty. For instance, I even thought of naming this post something like "2020: Watching society fall apart in real time" or simply "2020: F*&k You", but went in the spirit of positivity and keeping this more about my athletic endeavors, I chose otherwise.  

Even before the pandemic came to the United States I knew 2019 was going to be a hard year to beat.  I was coming off some big PRs and big accomplishments.  My main goal going into 2020 was to simply see how long I could ride the wave.  

The Frozen Yeti

My only true race for the year was on February 1st where I ran in the Frozen Yeti 30 hour.  My goal was to run 100k and I was able to log 63.7 miles in 12:38 before I called it a day.  I was pretty stoked with the result, and simply happy to see how well I felt after 63 miles and excited to see what else 2020 had in store.  
 
 
 
The Beginning of the Pandemic
Riding a high after the Frozen Yeti, I got back on the horse quickly and started pushing the mileage.  I hit
80 miles the first week in March and was in the middle of a 90 mile week (my last of the year) when the floor fell out from beneath us.  As I watched the news, it was becoming pretty clear that although life was being put on hold for the next few weeks (or at least for those with kids), that this would be a much longer ordeal.  In an effort to stay positive, my Saturday run that week was simply labeled "Not sure what I am training for, but whatever it is it will be epic."

The Rise of the Morning Run
For the last few years, I kept my volume high by running a lot of doubles.  I ran at lunch everyday and ran at a minimum on Tuesday and Thursday mornings.  With the new schedule of working from home, parenting, being your children's friends, and home schooling, the ability to run at lunch went completely out the window.  None the less, 4:45 - 5:20 became my new wake up time and I soldiered on.  Additionally, without the time to run doubles any more either, those morning runs increased drastically in distance.  



Virtual Racing and Doing My Own Thing 
With the Boston Marathon postponed to the fall and with an effort to find some sense of normalcy, something to strive for, and purpose, I ran a number of my own events and virtual races.  
 
It began on Patriot's Day (aka Marathon Monday) with a run a labeled "The Non-Boston Marathon Social Distancing Run for Hope" where I toured portions of the Boston Marathon course starting at 2:30am and
working my way through Sherborn, Ashland, Hopkinton, and Framingham.   With the support of family and friends, I was able to raise another $500 for NF Northeast.  I was happy to see that even in the midst of a pandemic that people can still be generous and think of others.  

In May, I ran the East vs. West 50k, not once, but twice.  I figured if I was paying for a race might as well get my money's worth.  The first round I completed as a double out and back on the Western Greenway (my favorite local trail, more below) and then second, in an effort to improve my time, I ran along the Charles River.  

Unfortunately, virtual racing just really doesn't get me excited.  I completed a number of other virtual races throughout the year, but they really were an effort to support the people and organizations I care about rather then race. Included in those Steps to Cure NF 5k, Falmouth Road Race, Becca Pizzi 5k, Boston Marathon, The Apple Run (which I directed) and the Gobble Gobble Gobble. 
 
The Mountains are Calling
Over the past few years, I have been spending more and more time in the mountains.  Back in April, one of my friends said, "Trails are going to be the place to be this year." and I agreed with him 100%.  
 
In addition to running every trail I could find, I made it up to the White Mountains a number of different times and was able to tag 6 peaks: North and Middle Tripyramid, Passaconway, White Face, Hale, and North Twin.  This gets me to 25 of the 48.  I'm super excited to get back up for more in the spring and even have a plan now to get me through the remaining 23 peaks.  I figure I need about 9 more trips. 

Though not a NH 4000 footer, I tagged the NY White Face, home the 1932 and 1980 Olympics, in the Adirondacks during a family camping trip in July.  

Can't wait to explore some new trails and peaks when the time is right again.
 
Every Street in Belmont
One thing I always enjoyed about running at lunch from work is that it gave me a whole different set of roads and trails to run.  This really helped in keeping me from getting bored of running the same thing every day.   

This past June and July, I started and completed a new project; run every road in Belmont, my home town.  This is something that has become increasingly popular after Rickey Gates did all of San Francisco in 2018.  
 
After a few weeks of meticulously drawing and following routes, I finished the project.  It was a nice break from running the same monotonous roads and was nice to see all the different parts of my town.   

Over the past couple of weeks, I've slowly started knocking off more roads in Arlington and Watertown on some of my midweek runs.  It will be a while before I fully color them in, but always fun to see something new. 
 
The Western Greenway
It is no secret that my favorite trail is a little section of woods between Waltham, Lexington, and Belmont named the Western Greenway.  I've been running parts of the trail for over 10 years now and when the world shut down in March it became my safe haven.  I ran it every Tuesday for a few months at a minimum and on some weekends as well.  Sometimes in the dark, some times in the snow, sometimes in the rain.  I rarely saw anyone out there and really just enjoy how this tiny stretch of land can be so peaceful in an urban environment.  

I've run the trail probably 40 something times this year and often stopping at the bench in the middle for a quick picture and to take in the calm surroundings in an otherwise chaotic world.  
 
On October 25th, I went out and set the Fastest Known Time for a full out and back on the trail.  I had a perfect 40 degree day and simply felt like I could fly for most of the run. Check out my full recap here.  

By the Numbers
  • Races run: 1
  • NH 4000 footers: 6
  • FKTs: 1
  • Longest run: 63.7 miles
  • Miles Run: 3269 (25 more than last year)
  • Time Running: 519.5 hours
  • Climbing: 231,483'
  • 7th consecutive year of running every day
  • 6th consecutive year of running my age on my birthday

Every year included in this post is the "how far did I get?" part.  After finally making it to the West Coast last year.  I needed something new.  On July 6th, I logged enough miles on Strava as the circumference of the earth at the equator: 24, 901. 

 
Additionally, this year I logged 3269 miles; the exact distance from Boston to London.  Excited to see where I can get next year.  
 
Chasing the Perfect Sunrise

This has been a very difficult year to maintain positivity.  In addition to the sadness the virus has brought, it has been depressing to see how society has reacted.  On March 16th, just days after this pandemic reached us, I logged a loop of the Skyline trail in the Fells in the dark.  As I stopped at Wright's Tower for a picture of the city, I decided I would name the run "Dark Skyline," a double entendre.  I was seriously worried what 2020 had in store for us.  

From there on out, I have chosen to see something positive in every day and what is more positive then watching the sunrise.  

"Uncertainty can be scary, 
but during a sunrise that uncertainty is luminous. 
Watching the sunrise every day has helped me see light within myself
—potential, possibility, peace, 
and the feeling that all will be well." 
- Gina Ryder
 
For the past 9 months I have been seeking the perfect sunrise.  Will I ever find it? Probably not, but I have found some pretty damn good ones looking.  
 
Robbins Park, Arlington, April 16th

 
Ashland Reservoir, April 20th 

Charles River, Cambridge, May 19th

Western Greenway, June 2nd

Robbins Farm Park, Arlington, July 30th
Wapack Trail, Greenfield, NH, Aug 1st
Sudbury River, Lincoln, Aug 11th

Midstate Trail, Oxford, Oct 11th

Spy Pond, Arlington, Nov 9th

Charles River, Dec 24th

Middlesex Fells, Dec 27th

Looking forward to 2021 and hopefully a return to "normal" life. Stay safe our there. 
 
- Scot

Comments